Monday, July 15, 2013

Wonderful Summertime Meal and Cornbread for Two



Yesterday, we had all of these wonderful summer vegetables for dinner.  Blackeye peas, steamed yellow squash, new potatoes, fried okra, garden tomatoes and sweet onions from the garden and last but not least is my wonderful cornbread.

Since it's just the two of us now, it has been a challenge for me to cut quantities in cooking for just two people.  We both enjoy cornbread but I usually end up throwing away quite a bit of it.  Closer to the holidays, I will freeze left overs to use for dressing.  So yesterday when I was making cornbread I decided to cut the recipe in half.  I thought you might like to have a good cornbread recipe for two people.

3/4 cup of cornmeal
1/4 cup of flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk

Mix all ingredients together.  Melt a little bacon drippings in a cast iron skillet or baking dish or one tablespoon of butter.  Then pour the ingredients into the skillet.  Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

We really like the flavor of onion in our cornbread so I chopped a small onion and added to the mixture.  I have also used this basic recipe and added one jalapeno pepper chopped, onion chopped and cheddar cheese for a Mexican flare to go with brown beans.  It's very good!  It's hard to tell from the picture but the cast iron skillet that I used for this amount is about a 8 inch skillet. 

My dad always crumbled left over cornbread into a glass of milk.  I can remember getting bites from him as he was eating that but it doesn't appeal to me now.  I thought it might appeal to some one.  This cornbread recipe does make wonderful dressing for the holidays.

Wishing you a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment