Monday, July 22, 2013

Eggplant Parmesan





I am getting lots and lots of eggplant so I made us eggplant Parmesan yesterday for dinner.  I made up the recipe as I was making it and I was very pleased with the way it turned out.  I also want to show you these yellow tomatoes.  They are heirloom and they have a wonderful flavor.  Although they are called lemon tomatoes there is not the slightest taste of lemon but the flavor is great.  These mixed with red and black tomatoes make a beautiful presentation.  Alternate the different colors and drizzle some balsamic syrup over the top with thinly sliced basil ....it's heaven!

1 large eggplant, medium slice, I didn't peel mine but you can is you desire.
2 cups flour
2 eggs plus 1 cup milk, whisk
3 tablespoons of Italian seasoning, add to flour and mix well
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
1 jar of Ragu
1-16 ounce mozzarella cheese, grated
1 to 2 cups of coconut oil or veggie oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

After slicing the eggplant put it on a baking sheet and salt, pepper and garlic powder both sides.  Put your oil in a large skillet and let it start to heat up.  Have an assembly line with flour and egg wash.  First put eggplant into flour  pat both sides then dip into egg wash and then back into flour.  Then place eggplant into hot grease (325  to 350 degrees).  Let both sides get golden brown and remove and rest on a paper towel.  Continue until all slices have been cooked.  In a small casserole dish, put some of the ragu in the bottom (if you want to make homemade marinara, that's great) then place a layer of the fried eggplant, sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese, then top with some mozzarella cheese, continue this process and top with the remaining mozzarella.  I didn't quit use the whole 16 ounces and I didn't use the whole jar of Ragu.  I didn't want the eggplant smothered in sauce.  Bake for 30 minutes at 375. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.

I didn't do this but some fettuccine Alfredo would be wonderful with this.  My favorite Italian restaurant serves their eggplant Parmesan with fettuccine Alfredo.   The Alfredo sauce with their wonderful marinara sauce .....well, my mouth is watering!

My husband loved this so that has to tell you it was pretty good.  It reminded him of lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment