Friday, April 30, 2010

Tropical Popsicles and IceTea

Warm weather is around the corner and at our house we start thinking of popsicles. I found this recipe a couple of years ago. It's healthy and we love these popsicles. We are also lovers of ice tea and I cringe when I think of how much sugar I used to put in ice tea. I came up with this idea and we all really like it and it has no sugar, except from fruit.

Tropical Popsicles

2 cups pineapple juice, 3/4 cup fresh orange juice, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 4 tablespoons of xylitol, big handful of blueberries.
In a medium bowl combine juices and xylitol and stir until xylitol dissolves. Use dixie cups (small 3 ounce cups) and pour juice into a cup leaving about an inch to one half inch from the top. Put about 6 blueberries in a cup and insert a popsicles stick. I found a large package of them at Hobby Lobby. I sit all my cups on a cookie sheet and put them in my freezer for about 4 hours. It is best to let them sit overnight. When you remove them from the freezer, have a large bowl of warm water. Submerge the cup half way into the water and leave for a moment, just enough to loosen the cup. The cup will slide off and then put the popsicle in a freezer zip lock bag and store in the freezer.
I double this recipe when I make it. I didn't write this down on my recipe card but I'm pretty sure one recipe makes 8 cups.

White Grape and Peach Ice Tea

I bring about 4 to 6 cups of water to a boil and add 4 large tea bags. I let it boil for about a minute and turn it off and let it steep for about 15 minutes. I buy Welch's White Grape and Peach juice. It's 100 percent juice, no sugar. The juice is concentrate but there's no sugar. Pour the tea into a pitcher and add the juice then add 8 to 10 cups of water. I use a gallon pitcher and fill it 3/4 full.

We drink water most of the time and this tea is a nice change. We also mix half water and half cranberry juice for some diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment