Monday, April 5, 2010

Easy Strawberry Pie




If you are around my age and remember Kip's Big Boy Restaurant this strawberry pie is reminiscent of what they used to serve. Their hamburgers were great and so was their strawberry pie. When I found this recipe I was very happy. :) It's a pie I make quite often during spring and early summer. When I serve the pie I put a big dollop of whipped cream on each slice. I have been buying ReddiWip in a pinch but there is nothing like real whipping cream.

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup strawberry gelatin ( that is about 1/2 of a small box of Jello)
4 cups fresh strawberries , halved
1 baked 9 inch pastry shell
sweetened whip cream or cool whip

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened. Stir in strawberry gelatin until dissolved. Remove from heat and chill about 2 hours.
Arrange strawberries in pastry shell and pour gelatin mixture over strawberries. Cover with saran wrap and chill 2 hours.
I have a bigger than 9 inch pie plate so I double this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. This pie is amazing!!!!! Last week on vacation, I had a slice of fresh strawberry pie with a jello like filling. After reading several bloggers recipes, I felt yours was the closest. Thank you for posting this wonderful recipe.
    http://sweetnesshunter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete