Sunday, March 17, 2013

Smoky Red Pepper Soup with Collard Green Pistou




I had a pile of recipes I had torn out of magazines that had laid on my desk forever.  I decided if I didn't get these recipes tried within the next two months they were going in the trash. I was happy when I went through them and found this recipe. 

Two dear friends had taken me out to lunch in January to a tea room and I had the best red pepper soup with gouda cheese.  It was wonderful!  So when I saw this recipe, I knew for sure I would be trying this.  It has smoked paprika which gives the soup a taste of bacon.  I love the soup.  I don't know if it is exactly like the tea room.  I would like to try theirs again. 

The recipe for this soup also calls for coriander and I didn't have any at the time so I made it without it.  I also added one tablespoon of sugar.  I like tomato basil soup with just a tad of a sweetness and I thought I would want to do the same with this soup.  And I did like it better with the sugar.  Oh, and I added about 1/2 cup of whipping cream instead of 1/4.

You can also make a collard green pistou which is similar to a pesto.  When I made this the stores in Chickasha all had wilted greens which I didn't want to use so I didn't make it.  I have a friend coming for lunch next week and I plan on trying the pistou with the soup.  Can't wait to try it because I know it will add that extra bit of marvel to the taste.

3 tablespoons of butter
6 large red bell peppers, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
l large sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
5 cups of vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup whipping cream

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add bell peppers and next 2 ingredients.  Saute 12 to 15 minutes or until onion is golden.  Stir in garlic and next 4 ingredients.  Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.  Add broth and bay leaves; bring to boil.  Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer stirring often, 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Discard bay leaves.
Process sou with hand held blender until smooth.  Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Serve with Collard Green Pistou. 
You can use a regular blender and process until smooth.  Just let the mixture cool slightly before blending in a regular blender.      Makes 8 cups

Collard Green Pistou
You can use turnip, kale, or mustard greens in place of collard.

2 cups firmly packed chopped fresh collard greens
2 garlic cloves
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper

Cook collard greens in boiling salted water to cover 4 to 6 minutes or until tender; drain.  Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process and drain well.  Process garlic in a food processor until finely ground.  Add greens, olive oil, and red pepper; process 2 to 3 seconds or until finely chopped.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Drizzle over soup.      Makes 1 cup

This soup is actually better after it sets for one day.  You can also freeze this soup.  Make the soup per directions just don't add the cream.  When ready to eat.  Thaw the soup to room temperature add to saucepan and add cream and warm thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment