Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pop's Onion Fried Burgers



Last night we had onion fried burgers and french fries, one of my favorites. I'm not just saying this because "Pop's" is my husband but he makes the best fried onion burger I've ever eaten. We always call our children when he's making onion burgers because they love them as much as I do and they never miss a chance to eat his burgers. Last night, several of our children came for burgers and fries. We haven't had them in a while and they were wonderful.

Making these burgers are easiest on a griddle but you could do it in a skillet but I would suggest a large skillet. He starts with using about 8 ounces of hamburger per person. He says the secret is using more onions than hamburger because that is what gives it that great taste. The hamburger is rolled in a ball put on a hot griddle topped with thinly (very thinly)sliced onions. He puts a good amount of onions on the hamburger and then uses a spatula to smash the meat and onions flat. After the meat cooks a little, he lays the bottom and top of the hamburger bun on the meat and onions and this steams up the bun and makes it hot. After cooking about 4 minutes on one side he flips the meat, still keeping the bun on the meat. About a minute before he is going to take the meat off he puts on cheese for those who want cheese on their burgers. Everyone gets their bun right before the meat is finished and puts on mustard, dill slices and tomato if desired and he then lays the hot pattie with onions on the bun and you're ready to go. I also have lettuce if anyone wants lettuce on their burger. He also seasons with a little salt and pepper before he puts the onions on the meat.

That's how it's done! I will have to say that I forgot to take a picture of the finish product. Can you believe that! But I was so hungry and overtaken by the smell, that when I got my burger I totally forgot. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment