Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fast, Easy and Delicious



For those busy evenings, when you don't have a lot of time to prepare a meal this is something that is very tasty and quick, for me anyway. My family likes anything Mexican, so when my kids were home and I was busy this was an easy standby. I made these bean and rice tacos in less than 30 minutes. I used a can of refried beans and Knorr Fiesta Sides Spanish Rice. Knorr also carries Taco Rice but I like the Spanish the best. The rice cooks in about 12 minutes and it comes out perfect every time just follow the directions.

Just put several tablespoons of re fried beans in a taco shell, then a couple of tablespoons of rice, then cover that with some cheddar cheese. At this point, I put the tacos in the oven and melt the cheese and it also heats the taco shell. When the shell is golden and the cheese is melted remove from oven. Fill with chopped onion, lettuce, tomatoes and I like sliced avocados and top with salsa. On these nights when I'm pressed for time, I stop and pick up salsa at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants rather than trying to make salsa. You can also add a dollop of sour cream if you wish. These are really good and this can also serve as one of your meatless dinner nights.

I cook brown beans at least once a month. I always have leftover beans. When my children were still home they knew when we had brown beans that one night that week we would also be having bean burritos. These are great also. I would heat up whole wheat tortillas when some cheddar cheese on them then add the Spanish rice, a little onion, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, a little fresh chopped jalapeno, and sliced avocado or guacamole. Roll them up and they are wonderful. Instead of re fried beans, when you have leftover beans just rinse them off and use them in the taco shell. They are really good too.

I really never get tired of these. It makes my mouth water thinking of them and we just ate them last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment