Thursday, March 29, 2012

Creamy Avacado Dressing


This dressing is wonderful. It is great as a dip for raw or steamed vegetables or as a topping for sandwiches. This dip has such a great flavor. If you like avocados, dill and garlic you will love it.

We have had such a mild winter that my dill is already coming up in my herb garden. You can use dried dill in this recipe but the flavor is just not the same.

The salad that I use for this dressing is all greens. I use a mixture of butter, romaine, red leaf and spinach. If I can find arugula I also use that. I put in a large cucumber (peeled and sliced) and about 2 cups of sprouts (alfalfa or sunflower). Clean lettuce, drain and tear into bite size pieces, add cucumber and sprouts and toss.

Dressing:

1 avocado
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Peel avocado and remove pit. Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until creamy and smooth. I double this recipe and you can see from the picture that it doesn't make that much even when doubled. I would say that doubled it makes about 2 cups.

Don't forget the next time you have a vegetable platter make this as the dip.....it's the best.

To end on a funny note - If you know my husband you will appreciate this and get a big laugh. When I made this I told him it was a Green Goddess dressing because avocados have never touched his lips. He didn't fall for it.....he insisted on using his Ranch dressing :( . I told him he would like it if he would only try it. His response, "you've been saying that for 38 years and trying it will not make me like it." But it might! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment