Friday, March 30, 2012

Lilacs






One of my favorite flowers. Their ethereal scent and lacy flowers beckon one to linger and absorb all they have to offer to us. I have a memory of walking to grade school and passing a hedge of lilacs in the spring and remembering how beautiful and wonderful they smelled. Another memory is my mother's garden, she had two huge lilac bushes in one corner of her flower bed and she had artfully displayed peonies and bearded iris making a breathtaking display. There is only one flaw with lilacs, they are barely with us for one month. :(

If you don't have one of these beauties in your garden you must get one. You will get so much enjoyment from it. I would love to have a hedge of them....all different colors. Lilacs are violet, blue, purple, lavender to magenta and pink and one that almost looks white with many shades of each in between. There are hundreds of varieties so you have a lot to chose from. Although lilacs are relatively easy-care plants, they need good air circulation and good sun light at least 6 hours. Never tear off blossoms but sure and cut with pruning shears. You can damage the plant by tearing. Lilac bouquets make a lovely scent in your home.

I have posted a couple of pictures of my lilac bush. It is three years old. I also posted pictures of my flower beds that I have worked on during the winter. These are just old bricks that I have used as edging. For our old home in the country, I love the look.

Have a wonderful weekend and go buy a lilac bush! Big smile~

No comments:

Post a Comment