Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Garden Update






I'm a little behind in reporting my soil sample for the blueberries. The blueberries do best in acidic soil between 4.5 - 5.1. Sandy loam soils are best they need excellent drainage. It is best to add peat moss to each hole. You can also add phosphorus and potassium and mixed with the soil and peat moss. If you need nitrogen in your soil ammonium sulfate or urea is preferred. Cottonseed meal is acceptable and a slow release nitrogen source is best.

My soil sample was 4.9 acidity in the soil. The phosphorus and potassium are high but the nitrogen is low. I bought my blueberries over the weekend and still haven't got them in the ground, due to the rain and I need to get the nitrogen in the soil. I bought 3 different varities that will bloom near the same time. I have had soom negative feed back on raising blueberries in Oklahoma but I'm giving it my best shot.
Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

We got chicken wire wrapped around the metal frames and I planted sugar snap peas about 2 weeks ago. They are coming up on both sides on the metal frames. The chicken wire will make it easy for the plants to grab and climb. I also planted some basil in one of my concrete containers. I was at our local hardware store last weekend and they had a good variety of heirloom tomatoes that I couldn't pass up. If you wait to long, heirlooms get picked over pretty quickly. Not only that, I found my favorite cherry tomato (Sun Gold). This cherry tomato is exceptionally sweet tomatoie goodness. You can't get enough of them. They start yielding early and go right through the season. I promise, you won't be disappointed, they are wonderful! I never plant tomatoes this early but we have had such a warm winter and the spring is already pretty warm I felt like it was safe to go a head and plant my tomatoes. I haven't got all the tomatoes I want yet but a good part of them.

I hope to get the blueberries planted in the next couple of days and the guttering up for my lettuce and spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment