Thursday, October 17, 2013

Tomatoes and More Tomatoes




After I heard the weather forecast this morning, I spent the day taking down and putting away the last little reminders of summer.  I haven't seen any hummingbirds in about a week and I read that they are usually all gone by the end of October so I cleaned and put away our feeders until next spring.  Then I filled up the wood box with wood for our first fire in the wood stove which might be tomorrow night.

Then I tackled the tomatoes.  I have a ton of green tomatoes, actually about 20 gallons.  I got them all picked, washed and dried and laid out on newspaper in the breakfast room.  I want some to ripen and I have never made chow chow so I'm thinking of trying my hand at making some and I'm going to look at some recipes for tomato relish.  I still have lots and lots of blossoms on the vine and I left a lot of little bitty green tomatoes.  We've had lots of good food this summer and will continue to eat tomatoes for a while, which I love because those at the store don't measure up.  I'm ready for a rest but will be ready to start all over again in a few months trying new varieties and old favorites.

I wish you could see with your own eyes the beautiful shades of green on all these tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment