Friday, October 4, 2013

Halloween Party Ideas continue.......



I love the eyeballs!  They are so cute and something savory to cut so much sugar.  The worm parfaits are delicious.  You can never go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate.  :)

Eyeball Salad

12 basil leaves
3 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
12 small rounds of fresh mozzarella, cut in half
24 small green olives with pimientos, cut in half
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

On a large platter, place basil leaves.  Top each leaf with a slice of tomato, 2 rounds of cheese, and 2 olive pieces.  Sprinkle zest over platter.  Drizzle each salad with a little lemon juice and olive oil. 
Serve cold.

Creepy Crawly Worm Parfait

2 (19.8 ounces) boxes dark chocolate brownie mix
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
6 large eggs
3 cups creamy peanut butter
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups frozen nondairy whipped topping
2 (4.5 ounce) bags of gummy worms

Preheat oven to 325.  Grease and flour a 13x9 baking dish and set aside.
In a large bowl beat on medium speed brownie mix, oil, water and eggs.  Pour into prepared baking dish.  Bake for 48-50 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.  Let cool completely.  Crumble brownies into medium chunks and set aside.

In a large bowl beat peanut butter, cream cheese, sugar, cream, vanilla until smooth and creamy.  Fold in nondairy whipped topping until mixture is well combined.

In parfait glasses, layer brownie crumbles and peanut butter mouse in two layers.  Place 2 gummy worms in each glass and top with fine brownie crumbs.

One last suggestion, sorry no picture but don't forget caramel apples.  You can always roll them in peanuts, mini chocolate chips or whatever you can think of.  Love caramel apples too.  There isn't much I don't like. :(

One more thing, when I saw the eyeball salad, I laughed.  It reminded me of a memorable Halloween party I went to at my cousin's house.  I was between 8 and 10.  Her mom dimed the lights and lit several candles and all the children sat in a circle on the floor while her mother read us this very scary story.  The story was something like this old man or some person, I don't remember the particulars, was killed and they passed around a bowl (I forgot, we were all blind folded) and said this is his brains, then it was his tongue, then eyeballs and ears. We had to stick our hands into each bowl and feel the object.   It's funny when I remembered this because I could hardly put my hand in the bowl because I really remember thinking it was real. It was funny when I could take my blind fold off.  Anyway, it was very memorable.

Have a wonderful October with your children and family however you choose to celebrate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment