Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Quiche Lorraine


I catered a baby shower brunch on Saturday and one of the breakfast items they served was quiche.  Back in the day, quiche didn't push my hot button.  I thought it was really bland, that is, until I tried this recipe and I love this quiche.  It's rich and delicious, has a wonderful flavor.  This recipe comes from a lady who is a wonderful cook. 

The recipe doesn't call for this but at times I have sautéed fresh baby spinach and whisked it with the eggs for a little different taste.  When I do this, sometimes I leave the bacon out but I have put in the spinach and left the bacon in also.  You could use frozen chopped spinach, just make sure you squeeze all of the water out of it.

1 pound lean bacon
1 white onion, sliced
2 cups heavy cream
4 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound Swiss cheese, grated
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1 inch squares
white pepper, I have used black when I didn't have white
Parmesan cheese
1- 9inch unbaked pie shell

Fry bacon and crumble.  With the same skillet that you fried the bacon in, remove the bacon grease and sauté onion in butter until transparent.  Layer unbaked pie shell with bacon, then onions, cubed cheese and grated Swiss cheese.  Then on top of Swiss sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese.  Add pepper to taste.  Beat eggs into warm cream and pour into pie shell. 

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is golden.  This is important be sure and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before you cut into it.

The pies in my picture haven't been cooked yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment