Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Ideas for Christmas Decorating













I don't do traditional Christmas decorating.  I decorate more along the theme of winter and I usually leave the decorations up until February.  Some of the ideas I have posted here could be left up after Christmas. 

I have done something similar to the first picture with cranberries in a vase with water and fresh flowers.  If the vase was large enough you could use pomegranates or small pine cones with an arrangement of greenery. 

The candy canes are such a cute idea and would be so easy to do and really adds such a special touch for Christmas time.  I love Noel hanging from the mantel.  I'm thinking about making one this year that says Joy.

Displaying Christmas cards creatively every year is a challenge.  The huge vase with large limbs is creative this would be a place where you could use pine cones in the vase with limbs or even evergreen limbs would be pretty for Christmas and attach the cards with red ribbon.  This would be pretty in an entry way.  Also, the wicker basket at the bottom is a great idea.

I love the tree skirt made from old handkerchiefs. Quite often, I see old handkerchiefs at garage sales.  This wouldn't be hard to make and would be a wonderful gift for someone.  There are several pictures of planting bulbs.  I love to do this.  It's wonderful to have fresh flowers in your house in the winter.  Some of the flowers smell really good.  To buy good bulbs for this, I would recommend going to a good nursery not some box store to get your bulbs.  I think the nurseries carry a better quality of bulb. There are several pictures to give you some ideas of how to display them.  I would try to plant them by mid November.  They will bloom around Christmas or a little later.

The Christmas tree for the front porch is really an eye catcher.  I really like the grapevines, red berry garland and lots of lights.  I would probably use big pine cones no ornaments.  I would prefer a rustic look for the porch.  I really like this idea.  Something to think about, is picking up a Christmas tree that someone is selling at a garage sale.  Since it is outside you wouldn't have to worry about having a lot of money tied up in it.

Making arrangements with fruit and magnolia leaves is always beautiful and this is something that can remain after Christmas.  The corner of a window looks wonderful, say in your kitchen, breakfast nook, or den.  The little basket hanging on a banister is also so cute!

I hope these ideas inspire you to great holiday decorating!


No comments:

Post a Comment