Friday, October 25, 2013

A Busy Friday!







This weather is just perfect for working outside, no humidity, cool, a little breeze I couldn't ask for anything better.  I'm going to begin with the bottom picture first this time.  I finally got a fig tree and I'm really excited about it.  I've been collecting some fig recipes that I will be anxious to try when the tree starts to produce.  I love the shape of the leaves and the fruit will look reddish-brown with pink flesh.  Fig trees just  have a unique look to them and I like the way the look as well as the way they taste.  I bought a Brown Turkey Fig tree and it is supposed to do very well in this zone. It can grown to 15 feet tall and 15 to 20 feet wide.  It needs direct sunlight and blooms in spring to early summer (that's good, the blooms probably won't freeze if it blooms in early summer) and ripens in summer. Brown Turkey has the longest ripening season of recommended varieties. 

I got started digging the cooled frame.  My daughter came down on Wednesday and she helped me get started.  We got a lot done.  It is hard work digging and then wheelbarrowing the dirt to another location.  Needless to say, I was beat that night.  The pictures of the screen doors are what we are going to use for lids.  We are cutting out the screen and we are going to use heavy plastic and staple it onto the wood.  Plexiglas was to expensive.  Two hundred dollars for a 4x8 sheet. :(

It's just been a week since I brought in the tomatoes and I wanted you to see how fast they are ripening.  I wanted to make some chow-chow but I don't know if I'm going to be able to do it before they all get ripe. 

Have a super weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment