Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie


I'm catering a ladies luncheon tomorrow and for dessert is this wonderful apple pie.  This is my husband's favorite apple pie.  In fact, he got the recipe for me years ago from Good Morning America.  They were having a pie contest and this was the winner.  I hope you will try it.  It's rich, crunchy and delicious.

1-9 inch pie crust, unbaked
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 cups thinly sliced apples (I use granny smith, but the recipe suggest pink lady , Fuji, golden) I usually cut at least 6 to 7 apples per pie.
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup caramel topping

crumb topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)

Slice apples and cover with sugar, flour cinnamon and salt.  Toss until covered well and place into unbaked pie crust.  Stir together brown sugar, flour, oats and cut in butter.  Sprinkle over apples.
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes remove from oven and cover edges with foil and bake another 35-45 minutes.  I usually go 45 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with pecans then drizzle with room temperature caramel. If your caramel has been in the frig you may want to warm it a little so it won't clump.  Sometimes I need to cover the edges of the crust so it will not get to brown and other times it does just fine.  My oven is getting old so just watch the crust and if you think it will get to brown then cover with foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment