Sunday, June 2, 2013

Choosing Love


The sun is coming up, the birds are singing loudly, its cool outside, there are clear blue skys this morning and there is so much to be thankful for.  I'm so thankful for the protection of my family over the last two weeks and yet my heart is heavy for the many families who have lost loved ones and everything they own.

I was moved to tears after the May 20th tornado as I heard of people from around the world sending condolences and thoughts of concern.  Then the outpouring of resources and help from Oklahoma residents and nearby states was very moving.  My daughter found this comment by Maya Angelou and it was my sentiments exactly.

It is sad but true that sometimes we need the tragedy to help us to see how human we are and how we are more alike than we are different. The unspeakable devastation in Oklahoma has brought the human goodness to fore. Men and women from Kansas, from Missouri, from Arkansas, even from New York City, have rushed to offer themselves as aid to the stricken Oklahomans. I sit watching the television and... am proud of how we are able to sympathize with each other and saddened that the only way we come to that understanding is when a tragedy affects us. I have not seen one person ask if the injured were black, white, or Jewish or Muslim or gay or straight. Don’t you wish we could think of each other in kinder ways all the time?
 
As I write this, I'm saying this to myself above all else, that there are two choices in life either love or fear.  Let us stop and think before we start to judge and simply choose to love.  It's not always the easiest to choose but it's the best for me and you and humanity. Nothing in this life is going to change until you love your neighbor as yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment