Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Turkey Pot Pie


I bought a turkey breast about a week ago and baked it.  Turkey really sounded good to me.  We had a meal with the turkey and veggies etc. then we had several meals with turkey sandwiches. A few days later, my husband told me he had all the turkey he wanted until Thanksgiving.  I had a lot of turkey left over so I decided to make turkey pot pies for the freezer.  They really turned out great. While I was making them I had the thought that these might make good gifts for several single friends who don't like to cook and my aunt who is alone.  I was excited......making good use of the leftover turkey and coming up with gift ideas.  :)

I had close to 4 cups of turkey after I diced it up.  So these are the measurements I used for this amount.  You might want to cut it down. Also, the store I went to didn't have the little pot pie dishes so I bought the smallest container they had.  This container would provide two servings.  I filled 5 of these containers.

4 cups turkey or chicken, diced
2 large carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1/2 onion, diced
3 medium potatoes, diced (placed potatoes in boiling water and cook until barely tender) remove from water a cool then dice the potatoes.
1 small package of frozen sweet peas, thawed
3-4 cans of chicken broth
1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
1/3-1/2 cup flour

Melt butter and then saute carrots, onions, and celery until tender.  When the vegetables are tender sprinkle in the flour and stir into the mixture until the flour is transparent.  Slowly add chicken broth and stir until thickened.  Add in potatoes, turkey and peas and stir until well blended.  Let this mixture become warm and also taste to see if you need salt or pepper.

Make your pie crust and line your container ladle in turkey mixture and top with another pie crust.  If the pot pie is not frozen cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  If it is frozen cook at 400 degrees for an hour and after 30 minutes you might want to cover the top with a piece of foil so it doesn't burn.

You might want to keep this in mind for your turkey leftovers after Thanksgiving.  That is if you have any turkey left over.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment