Thursday, August 4, 2016

Fresh Asparagus Salad



This salad is wonderful and has remained a family favorite for many years.  It is great with steaks or chicken.  This was a recipe from a dear friend that I worked with before I married.  She was a wonderful cook and I had some great meals at her home.  She really knew how to entertain and have wonderful dinner parties.  I was pretty young at the time and she made a great impression on me.

The recipe calls for canned asparagus but fresh is much better.  You can decide on which you would rather use. If I can find good cherry tomatoes I use those if not cut a tomato in half and then each half into fourths. 

2 cans of asparagus, spears or cut pieces (spears look nicer) or
1 bundle of fresh asparagus (steamed, crisp tender)
1 container of cherry tomatoes, cut in half or
3 large tomatoes
1 sweet onion, thickly sliced
1 to 1 1/2 cups of Italian dressing
Your favorite lettuce- green, red leaf, Bibb, Romaine or ice berg (Bibb is the best in my opinion)

You will need to marinate this salad. So use a dish where the asparagus can lay flat.  First, lay your cut tomatoes on the bottom then drain your asparagus if you have used canned and put the asparagus on top of the tomatoes next drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes and asparagus.  Now put the sliced onion of top.  You can use more dressing and cover the onions but they become soft after they have marinated and I like the onion crisp.  Once again, you can do according to your desire on this. After the salad has marinated for several hours, put several lettuce leaves on a salad plate and then arrange your asparagus, tomatoes and onion.  After it is arrange on the plate, I drizzle some of the dressing from the marinade over all the vegetables and lettuce.


No comments:

Post a Comment