Saturday, August 27, 2016

Living Without Money

I first heard this concept(living without money) about 3 or 4 years ago.  We heard a man from South Africa speak on this concept.  It is his passion and his mission in life to free people from this life style.  At the time, I couldn't see how the concept could possibly work.   Most of the world is so entrenched in money and working 8 to 5 I just thought it would be to hard to change things.   So when I saw this documentary (Living Without Money) it was refreshing to see this woman actually doing what she believes in her heart. She is a woman about my age, a teacher and counsel.  She decided she didn't want to live her life by the current standards and so she takes drastic measures to change things in her life.  She sells all she has except a suitcase full of her clothes and 3 pairs of shoes.  She is asked, "how do you feel now that everything you own is gone?"  She said, "I feel free."  During the documentary, I never got the feeling that she had any regrets.  She has never slept on the street or not had anything to eat.  And she said, "that when she really needs something it just seems to appear." 

She goes into businesses (example if she wants some bread) and tells the business owner how she is living her life and could she do something for
him in exchange for the bread she needs.  She never takes more than what she needs for the day and she doesn't want handouts.  She really wants an exchange to take place.  I thought if our society was like this we would be more dependent on each other and hopeful more kind to each other in helping each other meet each other's needs. 

As I was telling my husband about this, he stopped me in mid stream and said, "we are not living like that" I started laughing.  I said, "well wouldn't it make life a lot more interesting?"  Just kidding!  I do like the concept of getting unhooked from the system but I could see this working more before the industrial revolution than now.  People did a lot more bartering back then.  I have been thinking of small ways we might change things in our life.  Honestly, I love having a home that is my sanctuary and my bed to sleep in at night.  But I greatly admire this woman.  She is doing what I'm not willing to do.

As the man from South Africa explained, the programing starts as children when we start to school.  We go 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 five days a week.  As children, we start living for the weekend. Why, because we get to do what we want to do.  Do you see the picture it carries right on over into adulthood and that is what you hear so many people saying, oh, I can wait for the weekend, it's hump day on Wednesday and TGIF. The majority of people are doing jobs they do not like and there is no fulfillment in their lives.  They continue this life style because they don't see another way, there is the pressure to have a certain type home, clothes, go to the right schools and then there are the people who just barely make ends meet.  There is never time to learn new things, read the books, enjoy the sunset, smell the flowers, sit out under the stars at night.  Everyone is too tired from doing what they really don't want to do.   Isn't that why it's called a rat race?

I don't know that these drastic changes can ever take place but for me I like to ponder the concept because I know that what is currently in place is not right.  I hope this is some food for thought for you.

I love hearts and the picture above is from the plane when we were on our way to Portland.  This land was in Colorado.  I thought it was pretty cool~

No comments:

Post a Comment