Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Day 2 of Portland Trip

The next morning a local recommended Mother's for breakfast.  It was excellent!  I got scrambled eggs with sauted portabella mushrooms, fresh spinach and Gruyere cheese.  Oh my gosh, the best I've ever eaten.  Everything is homemade and it was wonderful and the restaurant had a great atmosphere. " I could have had a restaurant like this," I told my daughter.  Their story sounded a lot like our family.  This family had four children and they would all get together on Sundays for either breakfast or Sunday dinner.  The kids had such wonderful memories of this and their mother's cooking that one of the daughters started this restaurant. The menu is a lot of traditional dishes with a flair.


This gorgeous place is called Multnomah Falls and this has been on my daughter's bucket list.  I'm so thankful she knew about this place, it is absolutely beautiful.  We walked up and stood on the bridge and I told her at the time, "wouldn't this be a romantic place to get engaged."  Later she found out that one of her friends did become engaged at this place. Aw~   Huge ferns and beautiful wild flowers are in abundance everywhere.  I'm smelling of a bridal veil here in this picture.  This wild flower in Oklahoma isn't near this big.  According to Native American lore Multnomah Falls was created to win the heart of a young princess who wanted a hidden place to bathe. This falls never dries up.  It is situated in the Columbia Gorge.  While we were there I thought of all the pioneers that came this way to start a new life.  I couldn't imagine crossing those mountains in a covered wagon. Wow!  So, Katie was able to mark this spectacular place off her list.  Now we were ready to head for our destination.  Lucky for us, the falls was on the way. 


Katie had programed her play list into the rental car and as we were winding our way thru this beautiful scenery, the majestic pines and blue spruce, we were listening to the sound tracks from Braveheart, Apollo 13 and Forest Gump.  It was very moving and inspirational, a memory I'll never forget.  On the lighter side of things we started acting pretty silly the closer we got to the retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment