Friday, November 15, 2013

Strawberry Banana Ice Cream






My husband loves ice cream and he has done so well in giving it up. He used to eat at least one bowl every night before bed and so that is why I'm trying to experiment and come up with a healthy alternative.

First, let me say that Cuisinart, according to America's Test Kitchen, is the best brand to buy unless you want to spend several hundred dollars.  Cuisinart has two types of ice cream makers.  One has a plastic tub and the other has a metal tub.  The metal tub is the best and it's a little more expensive but the metal is really cold and I think does a better job.  You keep this metal tub in the freezer and when you are ready to make ice cream bring it out and stick in the machine and pour in your ice cream, gelato or sorbet.  It takes about 25 minutes and it does great.  Put the ice cream into containers and put in the freezer.

 If you own a juicer, try running frozen bananas through the juicer it creates a wonderful banana pudding or ice cream.   My family has always loved this.  We like to top the frozen delight with fresh or frozen fruit and my son and husband would put chocolate syrup on theirs.

Let me tell you what didn't work when I tried making this ice cream.  I put the banana through the juicer and put frozen strawberries in the blender to puree them.  I then added the banana mixture to the strawberries with some coconut milk and a few dates.  It tasted good but was too icy.  It wasn't creamy.  My husband still liked it but I will add some yogurt next time.  When I have perfected this, I will let you know.

 Be sure and ask for an ice cream maker for Christmas you will love it.  Even making the ice cream that has real cream and sugar is still better than what you buy at the store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment