Friday, November 22, 2013

Corn Bread Dressing

I am busy making cornbread to put in the freezer for dressing on Thanksgiving.
 
While I'm working this is my focus: Success is focusing the full power of all you are on what you have a burning desire to achieve.

Wilfred Peterson


This is a wonderful cornbread recipe and I have used it for years to make dressing.

11/2 cups yellow corn meal
1//2 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
11/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup shortening, melted

Mix all the ingredients together and bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.

My dressing is very simple.
I triple this recipe for dressing at my house.
1 loaf of cheap white bread, toasted
2 onions, diced
4 -5 stalks of celery, diced
5 eggs
4-5 tablespoons of ground sage or poultry seasoning ( I add this and taste but I use close to half a jar of this seasoning.)
salt and pepper to taste
9-10 cans of chicken broth

I run the cornbread and the white bread thru the food processor.  It will be coarser than bread crumbs but that's the look you are after.  Then add all of the ingredients, mix well and pour into a greased Dutch oven and cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  For a smaller batch just adjust time. 

When you have added your broth add enough so the cornbread is not dry, you don't want soupy but very wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment