Sunday, September 8, 2013

Quilts



I finished the baby quilt this weekend.  It took me all summer and my goal was to work on it at least an hour a day but that didn't always happen.  I'm a little past schedule but I'm DONE!  It feels great to finish a project.  I'm getting more disciplined as I mature ;).  Before the end of the year, I want to finish a wall hanging quilt I started for my oldest daughter 3 or 4 years ago, a huge pot that I'm putting ceramic tiles on, that's another project over a year old . Then there is another several projects for after the first of the year.  It will take me until the end of the year to get these two finished.  Below are pictures of what I have done on my daughter's quilt.  I want to tell you about it.










I gave this to my daughter 3 years ago for her birthday. I still needed even then to sew the edge around it and then it still needs to be finished off with another row of triangles.  I'll show you the finished product in the future. My embroidery could be a lot better.  I've learned a few tricks since I did the embroidery on this quilt and if you are a quilter extraordinaire don't look to close because there are plenty of mistakes.  But in spite of all the errors, this is made with much love. 

I'll start with the last square, look close and you will see a little baby gold heart.  This was a baby necklace that belonged to my daughter and I put it on the quilt.  While I was working on the quilt I got the wonderful idea to incorporate her jewelry as a child and a piece of jewelry from my great grandmother who had given it to my mother because she was named after my great grandmother and  my daughter is named after both of them. On one of the squares, there is a pin that says Anna and that pin is about 150 years old.  I thought it was a great idea to put it on the quilt because my daughter will get it some day and it may be one of those things that would just end up in a box in a drawer.  There is the letter A on one square and that is a necklace she received from her great aunt at her first ballet recital.  Another square says precious and cherished and this has a pin that was my grandmother's.  She always wore it when she would dress up.  The charm is a picture of my daughter and I bet we all have one of these stuck in a drawer;  that is if you are my age.  Back in the day, those little charms were part of a gift package you received when you had your child's picture made. 

I lucked out when I chose the fabric.  The quilt will go great with the colors my daughter is using in her home.  I will now start working on my daughter's quilt and hopefully in the near future I can show you the finished product.

I hope I have given you some ideas for a new project.

No comments:

Post a Comment