Monday, September 9, 2013

PBS Special - America's National Parks


Last Monday night was the starting of a week long special on PBS by Ken Burns on America's national parks. I just stumbled onto it and it was excellent.  PBS almost always shows these specials more than once, so watch for it.  I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful it was.  I looked forward to watching it every night. 

Probably Monday was my favorite of all the episodes.  Although they talked about several men who were instrumental in the preservation of the national parks my favorite was John Muir and they talked about him on Monday night. He was the first to take up the cause for preserving these majestic places on earth.   He was a naturalist and a spiritual man and from listening to them talk about him you could tell that he understood the oneness that we have with nature.  He also understood what God wanted us to get from spending time in these majestic places.  These places are healing to our souls and bodies and Muir referred many times that these beautiful places were the sanctuaries of God.  I think he understood if man could get away and visit these beautiful places that they wouldn't totally by taken over by materialism.  I haven't made it to the library yet but I plan on checking out some books and reading more about him.  He was very impressive and someone I want to learn more about.

It was really great and I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment