Sunday, September 22, 2013

John Muir


I made it to the library and checked out several books on John Muir.  I'm enjoying them as much as I thought I would.  He was a very insightful man with a free spirit.  These are a couple of pictures from a book and a couple of his quotes that I really liked.  Oh, let me tell you who he is.  Several weeks ago there was a PBS special on the national parks.  It was a week long and the first night they talked about John Muir.  He was the man who started the initial movement toward protecting and preserving our national parks. I admired his spirit as they talked about him, the things that he did and the things that he said.  I simply wanted to know more about him.

He said, "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."  Here he examines a conifer branch laden with cones.
 
"Thousands of tired, nerve shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity."
 
My favorite quote thus far is this, "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."

No comments:

Post a Comment