Friday, August 23, 2013

Scrumptious Cherry Tomatoes


I laughed at Mrs. Wheelbarrow's blog because she said at this time of the year you are making many visits to your neighbors delivering bags of tomatoes and zucchini the size of baseball bats. You almost become overrun in the garden.  So true!  All my tomato vines are huge and they are bended the tomato cages over.  I can barely keep all the cherry tomatoes picked.  What a great problem I know but my back doesn't think so.  I can bend all the way over and do great but bending just a the waist is hard.

I didn't know what to call this recipe but with all the seasonings the recipe is very scrumptious.  This is a combination of several recipes that I've seen and I changed a few things and made it my own.

I covered a large cookie sheet with cherry tomatoes.
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
4-5 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
7 green onions, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Cheese spread
4-6 ounces of feta cheese
2 ounces cream cheese
1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

After you put cherry tomatoes on cookie sheet drizzle with olive oil and add minced garlic and toss.  Put in oven on broil and cook for about 12 minutes.  Remove from oven and drizzle red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar over tomatoes and stir.  Add green onions and salt and pepper and mix well.

Toast several slices of sour dough bread or your bread of choice.  When is toasted remove and put a generous amount of the cheese spread on the bread then put several large servings of the tomato mixture on top of the cheese.   You want to use an artisan bread because a regular loaf of bread doesn't do well.

This also taste wonderful with basil pesto spread over the bread in place of the cheese mixture and then topped with the tomatoes.  Which ever spread you choose, it taste wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment