Friday, August 16, 2013

Making Do!




I spend so much time outside in the spring and summer that the inside of my house suffers.  The little spiders have a hay day because no one bothers them. Well, I couldn't stand it anymore, so for the last two days I have been doing some deep cleaning.  It feels and looks a lot better.  I will finish up today.  I was thinking last night how I used to clean our whole house in one day and take care of four children.  I don't know how I did it.  I sure don't have that energy anymore. 

I know that most women are not like this but I love changing things in the house.  It makes me feel like things are new and it gives me new things to look at that makes me feel good.  While I was cleaning our bedroom yesterday these are two little changes I made in our room that I love.  Just small things but they make a difference.  My aunt gave me a chaise lounge years ago and I love it but I have never liked the upholstery, it's pink.  Does not go with our bedroom but it has been in there.  I have found the perfect material to upholster it but haven't had the extra funds.  So, I picked up several old quilts at garage sales several years ago.  I went and got one of them out of my work shop and put the back side of the quilt over the chaise lounge and it looks somewhat like I have a slip cover and it covers up that horrible pink.  I loved it!  This is what I call "making do" or using what you have at hand.  The other little change I made was on a floor lamp in our room.  I took a pretty small grape vine wreath and wrapped a piece of rose vine that I had laying around and then attached it to the lamp shade.  I also love the way this looks too. Our bedspread is roses so this looks good.

These small changes really spruced up our bedroom and I loved it.  I sat in there last night and just enjoyed it.  I really enjoy our home and I am very thankful for it.  You wouldn't drive by our home and lust after it and think, "oh I want a home like that" but our home is filled with us and who we are and it has this wonderful feeling and your home can too.  Make it into who you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment