Sunday, August 4, 2013

Granny's Salsa



Years ago my mother-in-law would make this wonderful salsa out of fresh jalapenos, sweet onions, fresh garden tomatoes and fresh garlic. She would make some that was really hot and some that was a little milder.  She would spend hours cutting everything up and then she would put it in canning jars although it was not canned. We were lucky if it lasted two days around our house.  She would try to do it at least twice during the summer and our family absolutely loved it and couldn't wait for her to do it.  This was my attempt at making her salsa today and it sure wasn't as good as hers.  Don't get me wrong it was good but all I can say is she had the magic touch and this was her specialty.

Our family was all together today for lunch.  The first time in quite a while.  Everyone has been busy with summer classes and studying so we haven't gotten together much for a Sunday meal.   One of the meals we really enjoy in the summer is this salsa with what I call the Mexican brisket and guacamole.  I have posted the brisket before so I won't go into a lot of explanation.  It's an easy meal and somewhat light.  Just whole wheat tortillas, brisket, salsa and guacamole on the side or on the tortilla.

A week ago I tried freezing avocados.  I peeled them, left the seed in and put them in a freezer zip lock bag.  I unthawed them today and they were great.  Still green, the texture was a little different but still good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment