Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Busy Day



This morning I was up to my elbows in eggplant and tomatoes and that is a good problem.  I'm very thankful for the produce. The only down side to gardening is it all gets ripe at the same time and it seems like it takes days to get everything processed so it won't ruin. 

I made two large pots of eggplant spaghetti.  This is really great on whole wheat pasta with fresh Parmesan sprinkled on top.  This will also freeze very well.  So as you can see, I have quite a few bags to put in my freezer.  This is the recipe.

2 large or 3 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into cubes
2 medium onions, diced
4 to 5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons of olive oil
3-4 medium carrots, sliced
1 1/2 green peppers, cut chunky
1 small container of mushrooms, cut in chunks
2 cans diced tomatoes, you can use the ones with Italian seasoning
4 cans tomato sauce or a couple of jars of Ragu (I like sauce the best)
salt and pepper to taste

Put olive oil, garlic, onions and eggplant in a large pot and sauté for about 4 minutes.  Then add diced tomatoes and continue to stir.  Let this cook for a couple of minutes then add green peppers, carrots, and mushrooms and salt and pepper.  Mix well and let cook a couple of minutes then add the tomato sauce.  Stir well and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. 


This is Granny's salsa.  I posted the recipe several days ago. This is not canned.  I put it into canning jars because it is easier to keep fresh and transport.  This really is great but it takes so much time to cut it all up but it's worth it.  It's good putting it in the blender but the cut version is wonderful.  My husband will be delivering this to our kids tomorrow.  They love it!



Now, while I was doing all that cooking I was entertained by these hummingbirds.  I put fresh sweetener in their feeder this morning and they were loving it.  They couldn't get enough. I watched a PBS special on hummingbirds recently and they can be territorial but these two ending up sharing and they also said that hummingbirds will come back to the same places every year.  It was fun watching them.


Last but not least is a peach pie.  My sweet husband ask for one more peach pie.  We had one when our kids came down for dinner and it was really good.  The peaches were great.   Since we didn't have peaches on our trees this year this will probably be the last one. 

Well, one more day of cooking and I should have everything cooked and put where it needs to be. I'm ready for a piece of peach pie!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment