Monday, August 19, 2013

An Old Fashioned Dessert





This is a wonderful and easy dessert.  Let me underline wonderful.  With just three ingredients you won't believe how amazing this is. I was given this recipe years ago from my Sunday school director.  She had several women over to her home for lunch and this was dessert.  I loved it and asked if I could have the recipe.  She was gracious and gave it to me along with the story of how her mother always made this for company because it was so inexpensive and wonderful. When she told me it was made of only three ingredients, I was shocked.  Not only does it taste wonderful but I love the way it looks.  It looks like it was difficult to make, like you have stacked tiny layers of some sort of cake.

Ok, the three ingredients......Graham crackers, heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar.

1 box Graham crackers
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup of powdered sugar

First whip your heavy cream.  I add the cream to a large glass bowl and starting whipping the cream until it gets a little thick then add the powdered sugar and whip until stiff.  Don't over whip the cream or you will have butter.  There are three individual packages of Graham crackers in a box.  I used two packages to make this square.  Take the first two crackers and put a little whipped cream of the bottom of each to secure it to the plate.  Place the two crackers side by side.  Now spread some cream on top of the two crackers.  You want about 1/4 of an inch of whipping cream between the layers.  The Graham crackers will soak up some of the cream and they become soft.  Continue this process until you have used up both packages. Then cover the top and sides with the whipping cream and keep in frig until ready to serve.  It needs to set several hours before you serve it.  You can get about 7 slices from this size cake.  For a larger crowd you could make two cakes and arrange them on a large platter and garnish the edges with fresh mint and some blue berries or black berries. The cake itself makes a pretty presentation after it's sliced.

The first of summer Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) on Food Network said she asked the top caterer in the Hamptons what their most popular dessert was and it was similar to this.  It was very thin chocolate chip cookies put into a spring foam pan and then whipping cream was layered between the cookies.  I think that would be so rich you couldn't eat it.  It would have to be very thin slices.  To me the Graham crackers are rich.

I hope you try this.  Your family and friends will love it!  And it is sooooo easy.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment