Thursday, May 20, 2010

Report on my Seedlings


Two weeks ago I transferred some of my seedlings from a 2 inch pot to a 4 inch pot. I decided yesterday that the larger seedlings I would put in a raised bed until they become bigger and then I will transfer them to the garden spot I have prepared for my tomatoes.

This has really been a learning process for me. The main thing I have learned is next year I will start this process the end of January. I will put more heat under them. I did put heat under them in the beginning but it wasn't enough and they didn't grow that fast. I will also start a osculating fan alot sooner. I had forgotten to that and their stems were not as strong as they could have been. When the seedling gets about an inch tall you need to start using a fan. I was just so excited when the shoots appeared and they started growing I totally forgot about the fan.

It is alot of work and my husband asked me a couple of days ago, if I was going to do this again? I said of course! I think it will get easier as I do it and learn short cuts and more about what is best and what is not so good.

I lost several varieties that I was really wanting to taste and see what they looked liked but I will try them again next year. I still have an abundance of tomatoes.

Until the next report! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment