Monday, May 3, 2010

Outdoor Bathing







For years, I have wanted an outdoor shower. One reason, after I work in the garden and get really dirty I don't like coming into the house and tracking dirt to the bathroom. One year I was really dirty and I got between two structures (I live in the country) shed my clothes and rinse down with the water hose. It was wonderful! Being really hot and the cool water and the light breeze felt really wonderful. I've been hooked since then. In thinking about what I would like as far as showers go and where I would want it and how I would want it to look, the thought of an outdoor bathtub has crossed my mind but was cancelled out immediately by the thought of sitting down in that cold water.

Now, for my exciting news! One of my favorite magazines is Mary Janes Farm and she had a wonderful article on The Art of Outdoor Bathing and how you can rig up a cast iron tub with a propane heater under it.
You'll need 6 12x12 concrete pavers, cast iron tub, 2-burner propane camp stove (she used the heavy duty cast iron two-burner stove from http://www.hurricanproducts.net/) 6' (or more) flexible gas line, 5-gallon or larger propane bottle with regulator, crescent wrench.

1. Lay concrete pavers on a level, undisturbed 2'x3' piece of ground or deck.'
2. Position your tub on top of the pavers and your camp stove underneath the tub.
3. Attach the gas line to the propane stove on one end and to the propane bottle on the other
end. (If you decide to hide the propane tank, you can build a small wooden box around
it. Make sure the box you build has a couple of air vents in the sides.)
4. If the area where you're situating your bathtub is prone to wind, you can do one of two
things: build an unmortared brick wall around the tub on three sides with numerous gaps
for air flow, or build a skirt around the tub on three sides out of metal flashing. Either
way, be sure to leave gaps large enough to allow access to valves for lighting and regulation.
Fill the bathtub with fresh water from a garden hose, light the burners underneath the tub, then check the water temperature in about two hours (depending on outside temperature. If you want to speed this process up, you can put some sort of insulated panel on top of your tub (she puts a piece of plywood on top, covered with a quilt). Once you are ready to bath, turn off the burners and hop in (touch the bottom of the tub first to make sure it's not too hot, and don't ever step directly on top of the burner areas). If the water is too hot, use the hose and add some cold water. Use biodegradable soaps and you can simply pull the plug and let the water run out onto the ground when your bath is finished.

I can see mine now, fresh flowers growing by one side, candles, and me in the middle of a bubble bath watching the moon come up over the hill. I can't wait! Mary Jane uses her outdoor tub even in the winter.

Remember, you were once WILD, you bathed in the open! :) MJ's quote.

1 comment:

  1. outside bathing is more enjoyably compare to inside bathing but how to bring your bathtub this is the difficult thing or else enjoy without bathtub. Prodigg Signatures

    ReplyDelete