Monday, May 24, 2010

Enjoy Your Summer Produce with these New Recipes


These are two recipes that are really good and what makes them even better is you can make and freeze them and enjoy them long after your summer harvest is over. This first recipe is squash soup. A long time favorite of our family. The first time I made this was for my daughter's 16 birthday party. It was a hit and we have loved it ever since. I don't know about you, but I can get overrun with yellow squash in the summer. I make this recipe and omit the cream and put it in freezer bags into our freezer. Then when the cold winds of winter hit, I unthaw a bag warm it up and add the cream and it is great. We eat this soup in the summer as well as the winter. The other recipe is a newer one which we really love. Again, I have a ton of spinach in the spring and the past 2 years I have started growing Swiss Chard. So when I found this recipe I was excited to see that I could use spinach or Swiss Chard. Again, you can make these up and store them in the freezer. They make great appetizers or wonderful additions to eat with soups, salads, or navy beans.

Squash Soup

1 small onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, diced
3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds yellow squash, thinly sliced
1-10 3/4 oz. can chicken broth
2/3 cups of water
1/2 -1 cup of half and half
salt & pepper to taste

In a soup pot, saute' onions and garlic in butter. Stir in the squash, chicken broth and water; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Spoon mixture into a blender and process until smooth. Be careful putting hot mixture in blender. Don't fill to full, do small amounts at a time. Putting hot mixture into your blender and filling it up can blow the top of the blender off and the mixture all over you and your kitchen. Ask me how I know! :) Return to the soup pot; stir in half and half and season to taste. Heat thoroughly and serve.

Makes 5 cups.



Spinach Ball Snacks

2 1/2 cups of cooked and cooled spinach or Swiss chard. (2-10 oz. pkg. frozen spinach)
2 cups seasoned stuffing mix
2 cups Parmesan cheese
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cups butter
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well blended. Roll level teaspoons of mixture into balls the size of walnuts. Arrange on an ungreased sheet pan. Freeze balls, then put them into zip lock freezer bags. To serve, place frozen balls on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment