Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Decorating Mantels and Tops of Cabinets and Furniture










































































































Over the years I have established a seasonal decorating pattern. The end of March or the first part of April I put out spring and summer flowers. I also have some little birds and bunnies that I like to decorate with. I also decorate with strawberries (actually all berries), lemons, watermelon, honey bees, things that pertain to spring and summer and new life. The end of August, I replace all of this with everything that pertains to the fall, which is my favorite...... I love the fall! Lots of pumpkins all colors, gourds, fall leaves, squirrels, walnuts, pine cones and or course my pilgrims and my beloved books that tell their story. The fall season never last long enough for me. I'm never ready to take down my fall decorations. But the beginning of December I put up winter decorations. Which are pine cones, ever green, red berries, snow flakes, I still use walnuts too, snow men, old sledges, old mittens, old ice skates. I have some old pictures with winter scenes that I put on easels. You can incorporate your x-mas decorations in with these things and just remove them after x-mas and you still have your home decorated for the winter. I leave up winter decorations until the end of February. I put everything up and leave the house bare for a month while I try and deep clean everything. This is the time when I clean windows (I do this once a year). :( When the house is clean, I start the process all over again.

I love changing my mantels but mantels seem to be a difficult area for most people to decorate. When I am working with clients, most want something that will work year round (except for x-mas). When you decorate your mantel remember to add height and variance.

The pictures of my mantels are one from our den and the other from a mantel area at the end of our kitchen. I have also posted pictures of arrangements of the top of my china cabinet, the top of an antique cabinet in our breakfast room, and arrangements around the top of my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment