Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Memorial Day





























As a young girl growing up, every Memorial Day, my mom, grandmother and I would spend most of the day visiting the graves of relatives and friends. It was really a tradition and we did it every year. I will have to say that it is not the tradition to me that it was to them. My husband and I do have several sets of grandparents and our parents graves that we do try to visit.

You can spend quite a bit of money if you have over 2 or 3 people to buy flowers for. So I love garage sales and I am always picking up baskets and flowers and greenery at garage sales. I take the baskets and make arrangements for our family's graves. My husband gets little metal stakes (like those attached to the back of arrangements that you buy) and we bend them in a "u" shape and I leave a small open in the back of the arrangement and we push the "u" shape piece of metal through the bottom of the basket into the ground to hold it firmly in place.

I have some pictures of the ones I have made for this year. I probably have $2 to $3 dollars in each arrangement. The black and white one is for my mom and dad. They are buried in a mausoleum. I found a basket with a flat back and I make their arrangement in that and wire it to piece on the front of their marker that holds a vase. Hope this gives you some ideas of what you can do without spending alot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment