Sunday, December 13, 2015

Spinach




This is the spinach I picked yesterday from my little patch out of my back door. I have a flower bed next to my house.  It's on the southeast side of our home.  It gets the sun until about 3:00 p.m.  The spinach has done quite well there.  I wanted you to see how green it is.  I picked it and let it soak in cold water for about an hour or so.  All the dirt falls to the bottom of the container.  I then take the spinach and put it in a salad spinner to get the excess water off and then into a plastic bag. 

This is great sauted with a little fresh garlic, I use it to juice, I love spinach salad and today I'm making a grilled chicken fettucini with spinach. 

This is so easy to grow.  I didn't get it planted until the end of September.  You could even plant this in a container garden on your patio.  Anything that you can grow yourself is so much healthier than what you buy at the store.  Every little thing you can do helps your health and helps you to feel productive.  I order my spinach from Johnny's Seeds in Maine.  They have great seeds, organic and non organic.  I always get the smooth leaf spinach.  For spinach in the spring, you can plant mid March.  It will grow until the temperature gets in the 80's.

Just a reminder - find ways to be a producer!

No comments:

Post a Comment