Monday, December 14, 2015

Parsnip-Potato Soup



I have found a new vegetable that I love......parsnips.  Not that parsnips are new, but I have never used them in cooking before nor do I remember ever eating them.  The parsnips have the most wonderful smell.  After I had cut up all the vegetables for this soup, before I started cooking it the smells were wonderful.  The garlic oniony smell of the leeks along with the parsnips and the fresh thyme plus the fresh garlic, it smelled wonderful.  I couldn't wait to cook it and have a taste.  I thought it had a wonderful flavor and it will definitely be a soup I will make a lot.  It will be a soup I make for my daughters and my dear friends who come for lunch.  The men in our family didn't find it as delectable as I did. :) Surprise! Surprise!

This soup is like a yellow squash soup that I make, you can make this and leave out the cream and freeze it.  Unthaw it, put it in a pan on low heat to warm and then add the heavy cream.  I love having soups like this in the freezer already prepared.

3 tablespoons of butter
4 fresh thyme sprigs
kitchen string
5 cups (11/2 pounds) peeled and thinly sliced parsnips
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
1 russet potato, peeled and diced, (I used two potatoes because they were small)
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 heavy cream
garnishes: dollop sour cream, fresh chives, olive oil

Melt butter in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat.  Tie thyme sprigs together with kitchen string.  Add parsnips, next 6 ingredients, and thyme to Dutch oven and cook, stirring often, 10 minutes.  Stir in broth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium low and cover and simmer 15 minutes.

Discard thyme.  Process parsnip mixture, in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth, scrape down sides as needed.  Return mixture to Dutch oven and stir in heavy cream.

Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until hot.  Serve immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment