Monday, December 28, 2015

Roast Beef Sliders with Mustard Mayo Horseradish Spread


Several years ago, a dear friend and I were hosting a wedding shower and she was telling me about these rolls and that she always makes little sandwiches out of them and how wonderful they are.  I was not impressed when she first told me about the rolls.  I had seen them at the store and had never bought them because they looked like some brown and serve roll.  She made ham and cheese sandwiches for the shower and they were wonderful.  The roll has a little bit of a sweetness to it.  They are called Hawaiian Rolls (I think that's it).  It's Hawaiian something? You can find them in the bread section at the grocery store.  They also have whole wheat.

This little sandwich was also a big hit.  I bought a chuck roast.  I always run water over most meat except hamburger to clean it up.  (mental thing, I know)  I laid the roast on a couple of pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil (I crunch the edges together) and I put salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste and one package of onion soup mix. Then I bring the edges of the foil together and fold them up over the roast and form sort of a large pocket.  I leave open one end and I put in several cups of water and then fold up that end and bake at 350 degrees for about 2-3 hours depending on the size of the roast.  Let the roast cool a bit before removing it from the foil.  I put it on a plate and use a fork to pull the meat apart into small pieces for the sandwiches.

Mustard Mayo Horseradish Spread
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 heaping tablespoons of horseradish
1/8 teaspoon salt
Whisk together in bowl and serve at room temperature.

To assemble, cut roll in half put the spread on each side of the roll and stack in your pieces of chuck roast cover with top of roll and secure with a toothpick and olive or whatever garnish you would choose.

We had left overs the next day and they were actually still really great. I kept them in the frig covered in an air tight container.

Also, I saved the juices from the roast to make French onion soup this week.  You can keep this beef broth in a container in the freezer until you are ready to use it.  This makes wonderful French onion soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment