Saturday, December 26, 2015

Pan-Fried Onion Dip

 

After the movie on Christmas eve, our kids came home and spent the night.  We had already discussed having finger foods the next day.  It would be a day to relax and graze.  I have to laugh because it took us until noon to get the food prepared but we did relax and graze :( the rest of the day.  I think I slept off and on for three hours between conversations.   It was great and I felt rested and I didn't start falling asleep at 7:30 or 8:00 like I normally do.  I was actually up until 11:00 p.m.

In the next several days, I'll post some of the finger foods we made.  Some old family favorites and some new that were really a big hit.  This Pan-Fried Onion Dip was the biggest hit with the family.  This is a recipe by the Barefoot Contessa and it is excellent as all of her recipes are.

Onion dip is synonymous with sleep overs for me.  When I was growing up at sleep overs with friends, we always had onion dip and potato chips.  I still love it.  I can't tell you the last time I've had onion dip,  but when I saw Ina's presentation, I've been hungry for it ever since.

If you are having a New Year's get together and you like onions you will want to try this.  You cook the onions until they are golden brown and the sweetness in the onions come out and it is better than delicious!

2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup veggie oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise

Cut onion in half and then slice them into 1/8 inch thick half rounds.  You will have about 3 cups of onions.  Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions, cayenne, salt and pepper and saute 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium low and cook stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until onions are browned and caramelized.  Allow onions to cool.

Place cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in an electric mixer.  Mix until combined well.  Stir in cooled onions and mix well.  Taste for seasoning and serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment