Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fish Tacos


I have made fish tacos several times at home and have never really been happy with anything that I tried until last night.  This turned out pretty good and I thought I would share this until I come up with something better.

I buy cod loins at Sam's. They are wild, not farmed raised, they are individually packaged and they are not fishy tasting.  Gary and I love them.  This is how I prepared the fish.  I salt and peppered to taste.  Rolled it in a mixture of two parts flour to one part cornmeal.  Fried each side in coconut oil for a about a minute on each side (this forms a crispy crust) then put it into a greased baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 

1/2 head of cabbage, sliced thinly
1 onion, sliced thin
1/3 cup of cilantro, diced
Put these ingredients into a bowl and toss together after they have been sliced and diced.

Adobe Sauce

1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tablespoon honey
1 small jar of chipolata peppers with adobe sauce and from the jar use
3 chipolata peppers, diced finely
2 tablespoons of adobe sauce

In a medium bowl add all the above ingredients for adobe sauce and mix well.  Three peppers were pretty hot.  If you don't like things pretty spicy you might want to cut back to 2 peppers maybe 1 depending on how you like your food.  You can add one pepper and taste and go from there.

Cut fish into chunks and you can put the fish into a taco shell or a warmed corn tortilla.  Put the cabbage mixture on this and then top with a large dollop of adobe sauce.  If you use taco shells, I add the fish and then I put the taco into a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes to warm up the taco shell and then I add the cabbage mixture and adobe sauce.

This was very tasty and Gary and I really liked it but I think cooking the fish with some different seasonings would enhance the flavor even more.  If I improve the recipe I'll let you know.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment