Saturday, April 20, 2013

Two Wonderful Dips for Strawberries



This first dip is my favorite.  Years ago, in my early twenties, I worked for three doctors at OU Health Sciences Center. One of the doctors was single and he invited me to a cocktail party at the home of one of his colleagues. The hostess had made something I had never seen before, a plate covered in brown sugar and in the middle of the plate was a bowl of sour cream and next to this was a bowl of strawberries and all of this sat on a beautiful silver tray. Up to this point in my life, the only way I had ever eaten strawberries was strawberry shortcake so this looked very interesting. The hostess explained to both of us that you dip the strawberry in the sour cream and then roll it in the brown sugar.  After that, needless to say, this was my new favorite dessert.  We were both hooked and hardly left that corner of the buffet table that evening. 

Fast forward 25 years, I come across this recipe for a dip and it is sour cream, brown sugar and maple syrup.  I thought this is basically the strawberry dip I love all mixed together.  So this is the recipe very simple and very wonderful.

1-16 ounce sour cream
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons of brown sugar

Mix 3 ingredients together with a whisk and garnish if desired with fresh mint and strawberry.

Ok, everyone loves chocolate and strawberries.  This is my long time go to recipe for chocolate sauce. This recipe is good hot or cold and is wonderful (of course) over ice cream.    Makes 1 1/2 cups.

1-6 ounce package semisweet chocolate morsels
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup creme de cacao liqueur (optional) it's great without this
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash of salt

Combine semisweet chocolate morsels and butter in top of a double boiler; bring water to boil.  Reduce heat to low; cook until chocolate melts.  Stir powdered sugar and remaining ingredients into chocolate mixture.  Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth.      Makes 1 3/4 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment