Thursday, April 25, 2013

Coconut Spread -Great alternative to butter.


 
At the first of the year, I read an article by a doctor who had lost both of his parents to Parkinson's Disease.  He had been doing research on neurologic disease and had found that most oils are not good for people wanting to protect the brain and memory.  He recommended removing all oils except olive oil and coconut oil.  I had already started using coconut oil for various things.  It's great to cook popcorn in and yes you can find popcorn that is heirloom and organic.  So, I have stopped using all oils other than coconut and olive oil.  Also, I have a dear friend who is a wonderful cook and she has told me about palm oil and that it makes wonderful pie crust.  I haven't tried it yet but I plan on starting to use it for pie crust.  I actually have used just plain coconut oil on toast and I thought it was really good.  I don't have a problem with butter and have used it for 30 years but if I can find something better, I will use it.  Katie, daughter number two, introduced me to this coconut spread and I loved the taste but I was reading the ingredients and it does have canola oil in it. :(  That's the only bad thing, for me, I'm trying to stay away from the other oils. 
 
I think it is a great alternative to butter.  We have used it on toast, waffles and steamed vegetables and it was wonderful.  I am curious about how it will taste on a baked potato.  You may want to try it.  I found this at the Natural Grocer in Norman.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment