Friday, January 18, 2013

Shrimp Cocktail

This is one of our favorite dinners. It's light and we love it. Yes, yes I know that shrimp are scavengers and I try not to think of what ocean they came from because of the pollutants. We don't do this very often but it sure is tasty. I used to always boil my shrimp in beer and put in some other seasonings but after I saw Ina Garten cook her shrimp I've never went back to that method. Her method of cooking is the best and the shrimp taste wonderful. It's so easy! Whenever I serve shrimp cocktail, whether at my home or on a catering job I'm always asked, "how did you cook this shrimp, it's wonderful." Here's what you do. Take the shell off of the shrimp and wash it well. Dry with a paper towel and put on a baking sheet. Salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with olive oil. Toss with hands and make sure it is lying flat on the baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until it turns pink about 15 minutes. I do make a great cocktail sauce and this recipe is from my husband. Cocktail Sauce 1 bottle of Chili Sauce juice of 1/2 lemon several shakes of Worchestershire sauce 2 tablespoons of prepared horseradish (not creamed) Mix together and chill until ready to serve. Our cocktail sauce is pretty spicy and hot. You may want to start with a couple of teaspoons of horseradish, taste and see where you want to go from there. When we have this as a meal, my salad is cucumber, purple onion, purple cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, pepperoncini peppers, red or green leaf lettuce. A light dressing, like Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment