Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Avocado Hummus with Crispy Pita Chips


This is a wonderful new recipe I tried from Giada on the Food Network channel.  My family loves this.  We all love hummus and we really love avocados so this was pretty much a no brainer.  I knew we would love it.

1-15 ounce cannellini beans, drained and rinse
2 medium avacodes, peeled and coarsley chopped
1/2 cup packed arugula
1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
1 clove garlic, the recipe calls for one but I used 3 small cloves, we love garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients except olive oil to a food processor.  Pulse until mixture is coarsley chopped.  Gradually add in olive oil until mixture is creamy.  Taste to see if you need more salt and pepper.

Pita Chips

1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon chili or dried chipotle powder
zest of two limes, optional
2 whole wheat pitas, split in half horizontally
salt and pepper

In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, chili powder and lime zest.  Brush mixture on both sides of bread with pastry brush.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cut each bread half into 8 wedges. Place single layer on baking sheet.  Bake until crispy and golden.  350 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes.

P.S.  The second time I made this I didn't have any cannellini beans so I used garbanzo beans and they tasted great too.  The pita chips are wonderful but we have eaten this a lot with cut fresh vegetables.

I think you will love this!

No comments:

Post a Comment