Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Old Fashion Chicken Soup


This is another chicken soup recipe.   It is the chicken soup recipe from the Sears and Roebuck Coffee Shop.  I got this recipe years ago when I worked at Sears while in high school and college.  The recipe I will share with you today is a little different from the original.  Over the years, I have made a few changes and I think, perfected it some.

1 whole chicken, boiled and removed from bone, cut in chunks
1 packed of egg noodles
2 carrots, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced (and I use the leafy part also)
2-3 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1-2 chicken bouillon cubes
1-2 cans of chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 pint to 1 1/2 pints half and half

I always wash my chicken really well, inside and out. Put chicken in a large soup pot and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and bouillon cubes cover with lid and cook chicken for about an hour on medium heat.  When chicken is tender, remove from pot and cool.  While the chicken is cooling cut up onion, celery and carrots and saute in butter.  When vegetables are tender sprinkle with flour and stir and cook over low heat until veggies are covered well with flour.  At this time, check chicken broth for season. If it needs more salt of pepper now is the time to add.  Also, if you don't have enough broth add one or both cans of broth.  If you are going to add half and half only add one can of broth.  Now, add your sauted vegetables and stir until this is mixed well.  Add your noodles at this time and let them cook on a low-medium heat until tender then add your chicken.  At this time, if you want half and half add it now. Let the soup warm thoroughly and your ready to eat.

This recipe is really good with just chicken broth or with the half and half.  Sometimes I will use a pint of half and half and sometimes I will add an extra half pint to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment