Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Birthday




My birthday is in November and our oldest son was born the day before my birthday. Since he is older now we usually celebrate together. This year my sister surprised us with huge rib eye steaks (for our son) and her wonderful artichoke salad (for me). It was a wonderful dinner. My sister is a wonderful cook. She has a natural ability for putting foods together and making up her own recipes. This artichoke salad is one she made up years ago and I have always loved it.

Just a little information about my sister. I have never said much about her. She is 11 years older than I am. She married and left home when I was in the third grade. She is a very sweet and kind person. Like I have already said, she is a wonderful cook and had a full scholarship to Oklahoma State University in Home Economics when she graduated from high school and turned it down to marry the love of her life. She has two sons. Before I married, my sister and her husband would have me and our parents up for dinner at least one or twice a month. She always went all out with appetizers and drinks before dinner and then she always had a wonderful gourmet meal for us. Wonderful memories!

Back to the birthday dinner. One thing I have always loved about my sister's meals is she always does appetizers. For our dinner that day, she had made a yummy corn dip as an appetizer. It was a relaxed afternoon, enjoying the appetizer cooking dinner at a relaxed pace. I'm usually in a rush trying to get things done. I need to pick up her style of being relaxed and enjoying food and conversation and having the food in stages. I need to do more appetizers for my family and friends. Having appetizers before dinner just creates a relaxed mood.

The menu was steaks, salad, sauteed mushrooms and then our youngest daughter made this wonderful German Chocolate Cake. I had been wanting to make a layered German Chocolate Cake. My mother had a wonderful recipe when I was growing up and I have not been able to find her recipe. So in Southern Living in October they featured a German Chocolate Cake and the recipe was from 1957. I thought this has to be similar to my mom's recipe. It was wonderful. If you like German chocolate cake you will have to make this, it really is worth the effort of making a layered cake.

Now for the recipes.

German Chocolate Cake
2 (4-oz) packages Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate Bar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
Parchment paper
Coconut-Pecan Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 3 (9 inch) round cake pans, line bottoms with parchment paper, and lightly grease paper.
Microwave chocolate baking bars and 1/2 cup water in a large microwave safe bowl at High for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring once halfway through.
Combine flour and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl.
Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form, gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven from, and gently run a knife around outer edge of cake layers to loosen from sides of pans. Cool in pans on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 1 hour). Spread Coconut-Pecan Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.

Coconut-Pecan Frosting

2 cups chopped pecans
1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter
6 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Cool completely (about 20 minutes).
Meanwhile, cook evaporated milk, sugar, butter, and egg yolks in a heavy 3 quart sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cook, stirring constantly 12 to 14 minutes or until mixture becomes a light caramel color, is bubbling and reaches a pudding like thickness.
Remove pan from heat; stir in coconut, vanilla, and pecans. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Let stand, stirring occasionally 45 minutes or until cooled and spreading consistency.

Artichoke Salad

1 head of Romaine, torn or cut
1 head of Red Leaf lettuce, cut
2 jars marinated artichoke hearts, sliced, reserve liquid from artichokes
1 can black olives, sliced
1 purple onion sliced thinly
Fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil
garlic salt
Freshly ground pepper
salt to taste

Cut up greens in a salad bowl. Add olives and purple onion. In a separate bowl, mix about 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 to 1 cup olive oil and liquid from artichokes. Whisk together and pour over greens. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and toss. My sister doesn't measure anything so I'm guessing on the measurements. You might want to add more or take away according to your personal taste. I also thought fresh garlic would be better and I personally like Kalamata olives better than black olives.

I always forget to take pictures. The cake was devoured when I thought of pictures and that was left over salad.

I had two favorite gifts for my birthday. One was a pair of shoes curiosity of daughter number two and daughter number one gave me this adorable piece for my garden "blackbirds in the pie". It is in our breakfast room until spring when I will have a perfect spot for it in my flower garden. Blackbirds in the Pie came from Wilshire Garden Market. Go and check out all the wonderful pieces they have for your garden. I promise you, you won't be able to leave without something you'll fall in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment