Friday, December 23, 2011

Leafy Apple Pie




In mid November my oldest daughter had sent me a picture of a beautiful apple pie on the cover of Parade (a section in the Sunday paper). It was an absolutely beautiful pie and it was covered with leaves made from pie crust. The presentation was very unique and beautiful. So I stored away that little idea.

One of my customers that I cook for quite often called and her daughter and son-in-law are coming in from California and she ordered several pies, one of which was an apple. In the middle of making the apple yesterday, I thought of the pie on the cover of Parade and I thought I would surprise her with the leafy apple pie. It would be a beautiful dessert to present to her family. I was a little nervous about it, since I had not made it before but it came together beautifully. I was so excited.

The pie was made in a 10 inch foil pie plate. Put it in the oven, watch it carefully so it wouldn't get to brown. Finally it was done and it looked beautiful, I was so pleased. I took it out of the oven and a little juice had dripped over the side so I didn't want it sitting in the juice and drying so I carefully lifted it on both sides to move it to a wire rack on my table in the breakfast room. As I was moving it, the sides of the foil pie plate started to bend into the middle and I couldn't get to the table fast enough. The pie spilled all over my hands, the floor, chairs, table. I can't even remember the last time I was that mad. I wanted to cry, and fling the rest of the pie against the wall, I hate to admit it (but confession is good for the soul, right :)) but I came up with some new cus words. All of that work, gone. My positive vibes were gone. My husband helped me and we cleaned up the mess. I left to get fresh air and go to the store for more apples. I came home and my sweet husband said, "the best way to look at this is, this has never happened to you before, you could have been walking out the door to deliver this and it could have happened." That's true. I would have been up a creek without a paddle then.

So, I started all over and made it again and put it in a glass pie plate to hold the weight of the pie. It turned out great. I'll be delivering it to her today and I will be excited to get her impression of it.

If you are interested in making this. Cover the top of your pie with a regular pie crust. Cut a round circle in the top of the pie crust. Be sure to crimp the edges of your pie so the juice will not leak out when it is cooking. Find a leaf cut out and make lots of leaves to go on the top. Make a egg wash (one egg and 1 tablespoon of water, beat) and brush a section of pie crust with egg wash and arrange your leaves on the pie crust and then do another section until you have covered the top. Brush the egg wash over the leaves and bake as you normally do. Watch the pie and cover with foil if the top starts to get to brown. And if you use a foil pie plate be sure and carry the pie with your hand under the pie plate. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment