Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole


After spinach enchiladas, I love chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce and then I love cheese enchiladas and then homemade tamales (laughing) I could probably write down everything that is on a Mexican menu. I love Mexican food and I think just about everyone does.

It is so much work to make individual enchiladas and such a mess that I don't hardly ever do that. I came up with this recipe in an attempt to create chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce. My family loves it and I made this for a ladies luncheon that I catered a year ago and I had several women come up and tell me that it was the best casserole they had ever eaten. :)

The picture that I have posted of this casserole is a double portion. This is what I make for my family when we are all together. This will keep in the frig. several days and is really good warmed up if you have any left.

4 chicken breasts, baked and cut into bite size pieces
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 onion chopped fine
1 can green enchilada sauce
1 can chopped green chilies, (the chopped green chilies come in small cans but the large
is still small but a little bigger than the small size.)
I don't have one on hand to write down the exact size.
I'm guessing 6 ounces.
1 heaping cup of sour cream
1 package of corn tortillas
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
1 teaspoon of cumin
3-4 fresh jalapenos
1-16 ounce Monterrey Jack cheese grated
1-16 ounce Monterrey Jack pepper cheese grated

When I make this for my family I boil a whole chicken until it is tender and after it has cooled I remove it from the bone and cut into bite size pieces. I would not cook 8 chicken breast to double this recipe that would be too much meat. If you are cooking the chicken breast, wash off the chicken breast and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees cover with foil for about 45-55 minutes until tender. Remove from oven let cool then cut the breast into bite size pieces.

While the chicken is cooking take a large mixing bowl and put in your chicken soup, green enchilada sauce, green chilies, sour cream, chopped onion, and cumin. Mix well. It the mixture is too thick add 1/4 cup of chicken broth to thin it down a little. When the chicken has cooled add the chicken to your soup mixture and stir well.

Take a 9x13 casserole dish and spray with Pam. Put half of your soup mixture in the bottom of the dish, on top of that tear your corn tortillas into bite size pieces and cover the top of that mixture (about 10 tortillas) then cover the top of the tortillas with some of the grated Monterrey Jack cheese (about 2 cups). Then the rest of the soup mixture on top of the cheese. Cover the top of the soup mixture with the rest of the torn corn tortillas then top with the grated Monterrey Pepper Jack cheese. Slice the fresh jalapenos and cover the top of the casserole with them. Bake at 350 degrees until heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.

With the smaller casserole you might get by with an 8 ounce package of each cheese but I love cheese and I always use quite a bit. If your not a cheese lover and your concerned about fat you could get by with the smaller size. Sometimes I use a little more cumin. I will just taste it and go by how it taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment