Friday, December 3, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Dear Husband!


Today is my husband's birthday. As I sit and think about him, I know how blessed I am. I always enjoy remembering our story and how God brought us together. I was in the seventh grade and he was in the ninth grade. Back then, it was called junior high school. He was a starter on the basketball team, very good looking, popular and most of the girls I knew had a crush on him. We would stand outside the school on the lawn in the mornings and wait for the bell to ring so we could go inside and start school. I remember standing there with my friends and seeing him walk up the sidewalk with one of the cutest girls in his class. She was a cheerleader, very petite and cute and I remember thinking you will never have a chance with him. I was in pep club and I can still see him in that gym running down the court playing basketball and me yelling for him to make the basket. He never knew I was even alive. I admired him from a distance for many years.

The next year he went on to high school and I had two more years in junior high. During the next two years I attended several high school football games where once again he was a star football player. And again he had another pretty girl on his arm.

The summer before I went to high school my first job was working in a Diary Queen. I was working in the back cooking which I didn't like. I wanted to make the ice cream cones and malts. :) Anyway, there was a small window in the kitchen that looked out into the front of the Dairy Queen. Someone had come in and ordered a foot long hot dog and I just happened to glance through the window and it was him (my future husband). I was so excited that I was getting to make his hot dog. I kid him now and tell him I dropped the wiener on the floor before I put it on the bun. I started to high school that fall and saw him many times. Always thinking I would never have a chance with him.

After we were married I found out that during high school he lived behind me. Our backyards were adjacent to each other. I never saw him and it's probably a good thing I didn't know that.

He went off to college and then Viet Nam. After he was out of the service, he was good friends with my best friend's brothers. We ended up going out on a blind date with my friend and her boyfriend. We were married in about a year and a half after that.

We our best friends and he is still the love of my life. I am so thankful that we have grown together through the years and not apart. I don't know what I would do without him.

I want to wish him the Happiest of Birthdays today and I want him to know that through the years the sweetest days I've found I've found with him.
I love you!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I had ever heard your "love story". Loved it. Isn't it amazing to see God's handiwork in your early life? You two are a perfect couple. We have lots of good memories of time spent with you guys. Miss being able to fellowship with you more. Oh, and tell Gary Happy Birthday. Hope he enjoyed his day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a wonderful pic of you two. i love you to so much. you both are blessed to have each other.

    ReplyDelete